About the Sport and Recreation Industry
The following statistics are provided by the Australian Bureau of Statistics:
- In 2009-10, Australian households spent $8.3 billion on sport and physical recreation products.
- In the 2006 Census, there were 75,155 people whose main job was in a sport and physical recreation occupation. This was a growth in employment of 23% from 2001.
- The ABS 2010 General Social Survey (GSS) found that over 6 million people, or 36% of the adult population aged 18 years and over, participated in voluntary work in 2010. Sport and physical recreation organisations attracted the largest number of volunteers with 2.3 million people (37% of the volunteer population).
- The supply of sports profesional services, coaching, club operation, sports administration and operating sorts grounds amounted to $5.9 billion
- Sport and physical recreation goods exported from Australia during 2010-11 were valued at $310.1m, decreasing 23% from the $403.5m recorded for 2009-10. These exports include boats and yachts, horses, swimwear, waterskis, surfboards, sailboards, golf clubs and footwear.